Free Pattern: Felted Nesting Bowls

felted nesting bowls

A year ago I was felting like crazy, crafting mostly oven mitts but also different sizes of bowls. I was asked for instructions for these nesting bowls from a woman a couple of months ago and so I wrote them up for all the enjoy. The bowls make sweet little candy holders for this time of year.

If you haven’t tried felting before, this is a wonderful easy way to start. You will soon become addicted.

For the bowls pictured, I used Lion Wool and size 10 dpn (double pointed needles) (or 10.5 or 11…whatever big dpns you have on hand) (*but* if you’re going to go out and buy some, get size 10).

Make sure that whatever yarn you are using is 100% WOOL!

Approximate Finished measurements (diameter across top):

Orange: 6.5”
Purple: 5.25”
Yellow: 4.25”
Pink: 3.5”

INSTRUCTIONS FOR Felted Nesting Bowls:

Orange (Large) – cast on 72, knit 30 rows

Purple (Medium) – co 63, knit 25 rows

Yellow (Small) – co 54, knit 20 rows

Pink (X-small) – co 45, knit 15 rows

Decrease (bottom of bowl) for all sizes:

Round 1: [K2 tog, knit 7] continue around

Round 2: [K2 tog, knit 6] continue around

Round 3: Knit

Round 4: [K2 tog, knit 5] continue around

Round 5: [K2 tog, knit 5] continue around (this helps flatten the bowl’s bottom

Round 6: [K2 tog, knit 4] continue around

Round 7: Knit

Round 8: [K2 tog, knit 3] continue around

Round 9: [K2 tog, knit 3] continue around

Round 10: [K2 tog, knit 2] continue around

Round 11: [K2 tog, knit 2] continue around

Round 12: [K2 tog, knit 1] continue around

Cut yarn and with needle thread through remaining stitches and pull tight.

Felt as normal. I recommend a top loading machine, hot water, pair of old jeans for agitation and mesh bags to hold bowls.

Please let me know if you find any errors in this pattern. I’m a neophyte pattern writer and I welcome your feedback.

21 Comment(s)

1. If I’m using worsted eight wool, should I hold it doubled for these bowls?
    And chunky single?

Terri | Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

2. Are this done in the round? Can I use circular needles? Is it garter stitch or stocking stitch?

sherilyn | Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

3. Do you know approximately how much yarn is needed? Have always wanted to do felting and these bowls look adorable.

Marcia goetz | Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

4. Please advise : Is the above pattern knit in the round? It says to cast on and knit ….. Rows ….. Is this done with circular needles or 4 double pointed or two needles ……? Please advise as the pattern is not very clear …..!

Thanks

Jan Suglio | Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

5. I am really new at knitting, so my one question is, do I put all 72 stitches on one needle or do I divide the stitches for the four DP needles?

Linda | May 24, 2013 | Reply

6. This is a great pattern. Very easy to follow and so quick to make. The biggest challenge was finding items on which to dry/shape the felted bowl. Thanks!

Sheryl | Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

7. brilliant patter, thank you!

sarah taylor | Jul 14, 2013 | Reply

8. Hello-
    Love these bowls but am confused during decrease – specifically Round 4 and ROund 5. There are leftover stitches so that the 2nd repeat of K2t0g, knit 5 does not end evenly. Am I doing something wrong? Would love your feedback. Thanks@

Christine T | Jul 30, 2013 | Reply

9. Hi,
    I have a question…..do you use 2 dpn’s as you would 2 regular needles or are you knitting in the round? I’m assuming you are knitting in the round, correct? How do you knit in the round with only 2 dpns? Can I use circular needles?

Thanks:

rae | Oct 2, 2013 | Reply

10. There is a major problem with this pattern. Rounds 5, round 9, and 11 will not come out evenly because the stitches need to be a multiple of 7, 5 and 4 respectively to complete these rows. If the required stitches were present for these rows the other rows would not work. The pattern works only if rows 5, 9, and 11 are eliminated, but this would not “flatten out the bowl’s bottom.” There must be a better way to shape the bowl. Also, I suspect that the worsted weight yarn should be worked double.

Sandra Jeppsson | Oct 3, 2013 | Reply

11. You are not doing anything wrong. There is a problem with the instructions.

Sandra Jeppsson | Oct 3, 2013 | Reply

12. I think that it may work well to eliminate rounds 5, 9, and 11, and to use double strand of worsted weight wool yarn. Decreasing at a faster rate should “flatten out the bowl’s bottom.” The last rounds could be knit 2 together or even knit 3 together.

Sandra Jeppsson | Oct 3, 2013 | Reply

13. I can answer some of your questions although I’m not sure about the weight of the yarn and whether or not you should use double worsted weight.

You can use circular needles, however, as you decrease and decrease your circulars will become too small and you will need double points to finish off. Maybe it’s best to use double points the whole way to avoid purchasing extra needles you might not need.

If you’re a newbie and haven’t knitted around before – When you finish the first row, distribute the stitches somewhat evenly onto the 4 double points (or 3 double points if you’ve lost one that’s ok). Then knit into the first stitch of the first row you just made. When you do that, make sure the row isn’t twisted as it’s near impossible to make it right later. You’re now on the second row. You will see why you need the double points – especially as you start decreasing.

The good thing about felting is that it’s really good at hiding mistakes! Have fun!

Kathryn | Oct 11, 2013 | Reply

14. Hi, the bowls are adorable.Thanks for sharing the pattern. could you pl. tell, how much yarn is needed for Big Orange bowl, and did you use double yarn, as the walls seem quit thick..and what stich did you use.
    Thanks in advance,Rajkumari

Rajkumari | Oct 16, 2013 | Reply

15. yes, it is in the round! dp needles are necessary to decrease at the end. it is stockinette stitch!

jas | Oct 18, 2013 | Reply

16. I also assume to double the yarn if using worsted weight yarn. Is this correct?

Margaret | Nov 4, 2013 | Reply

17. I am new as knitting. I would really love to try these bowls. I have never used 4 needles. Ok to use round needles. I signed up for a class for a felted bag. I was the only one so they cancelled the class.

Maryellen | Jan 29, 2014 | Reply

18. Yes you could probably use round needles – if you get a 40″ needle and use the “Magic Loop” method.

admin | Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

19. Thanks for tips!

admin | Feb 14, 2014 | Reply

20. Do not understand the decrease. When you say continue around….do you mean
    (ks tog, knit 7) Am I to K2 together, knit 7 all the way around on all needles?

Jackie | Mar 8, 2014 | Reply

21. No, you’re not doing anything wrong. The instructions are incorrect.

Kathleen | Apr 12, 2014 | Reply